RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Sponsored

October 8

October 8, 1957 – The Maxwell House Coffee House Closes

“Famous Disneyland serves Maxwell House coffee exclusively”

On October 8, 1957, the Maxwell House Coffee House, located in Disneyland, closed. Located in Town Square, the coffee house opened on December 1, 1955. Though this particular coffee house lasted close to two-years, it didn’t close down entirely, but changed sponsorship from Maxwell House to Hills Brothers, a San Francisco-based coffee brand.

Advertisements

August 11

August 11, 1955 – Casa de Fritos Opens in Disneyland

“Enjoy delicious Mexican foods at Casa de Fritos”

On August 11, 1955, the restaurant Casa de Fritos opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland. Serving Mexican food, the restaurant was famed for its specialty vending machine where kids could get a bag of Fritos chips by the Frito Kid. Guests could order dishes such as Frito Chili Pie for 55 cents, three tamales for 35 cents, and a Mexican combination plate for only $1.00; Fritos were provided for free with every dish. The restaurant was given an upgrade and a new name – Casa Mexicana – on October 1, 1982, and would go on to become Rancho del Zocalo on February 6, 2001.

July 16

July 16, 1955 – The Golden Horseshoe Opens for a Private Party

On July 16, 1955, the Golden Horseshoe Saloon opened for a private party for corporate sponsors of Disneyland, which was to open the next day. Though the Golden Horseshoe Revue wasn’t to begin its run until the park’s official opening day, the saloon’s private party did feature eventual show mainstay Wally Boag in his first official appearance as Pecos Bill and the Traveling Salesman.

April 5

April 5, 1956 – The Display Attraction Crane Company Bathroom of Tomorrow Opens in Disneyland

Image credit: http://waltdisney.org

“This fabulous bathroom, actually designed for the future, is available for your home today!”

On April 5, 1956, the display attraction Bathroom of Tomorrow opened in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. Sponsored by the Crane Plumbing Company, the attraction featured the newest ideas in designs for the bathroom, though was only meant to be viewed rather than used. Several notable designers were involved in the creation of the attraction, including Henry Dreyfuss, best known for the designs of the Hoover vacuum cleaner and the John Deere tractors. The attraction boasted many ideas deemed commonplace today, including air conditioning. Part of the attraction was interactive: guests were able to play with some faucets activated by larger wheels near the opening of the exhibit. The attraction was officially closed on August 31, 1960.

January 18

January 18, 1958 – The Pet Boarding Facility Ken-L-Land Opens

ken-l-land

“‘Man’s best friend’ has not been forgotten when the family visits Disneyland, thanks to Ken-L-Ration’s deluxe Pet Motel, Ken-L-Land.”

On January 18, 1958, the pet boarding facility Ken-L-Land opened just outside the Disneyland main gate. It was a place where families, who had traveled miles to get to Disneyland, could leave their pets rather than leave them in the parking lot. Sponsored by Ken-L-Ration dog food from the Quaker Oats Company, pets were fed exclusively from the brand, with a full day’s boarding and a can of food costing 25 cents. Ken-L-Ration’s sponsorship lasted until 1967; the sponsorship and name of the kennel changed over the years, including sponsorship by Kal Kan with the name change to Kennel Club in 1968 to 1977, sponsorship by Gaines with name change to Pet Care Kennel in 1986 to 1991, and sponsorship by Nestle’s Purina in 1993, with the name change to Disneyland Kennel Club.

October 29

October 29, 1998 – Disney and Chevron Announce Partnership for Autopia Attraction

disney-chevron

“Autopia is a simple and magical experience that allows both children and adults to get behind the wheel of a car, some of them for the very first time, and go for a cruise along the highways of Tomorrowland.” – Disneyland President Paul Pressler

On October 29, 1998, the Disneyland Resort and Chevron announced a 13-year partnership, with Chevron sponsoring the park’s Autopia attraction. As part of the agreement, Chevron was to update and improve the original attraction; they announced tentative plans at the announcement of pre-show entertainment area, combination of the Tomorrowland and Fantasyland Autopia roadways, and new designs for the cars. Chevron would work with Disneyland Imagineers to give the ride a 21st century loo to it, taking cues from Tomorrowland for its sleek new design. Autopia originally opened on July 17, 1955, with Richfield sponsoring it from opening to 1970. Chevron’s sponsorship lasted until 2012; Honda would take over sponsorship in 2016.

August 27

August 27, 1998 – The Town Square Exhibition Hall Opens in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park

TSET

On August 27, 1998, the Town Square Exhibition Hall opened in the Magic Kingdom Park of Walt Disney World. The area housed the Camera Center (hosted by Kodak), and featured camera and photography related exhibits; it also featured a mini theater with Disney cartoons continuously playing, and an exhibit about the history of Walt Disney. The Camera Center closed in 2010, making way for new meet and greets with Mickey Mouse, the Disney Princesses, and Tinker Bell.