RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Disneyland Park

June 20

June 20, 1996 – Big Thunder Barbecue Becomes the Festival of Foods

On June 20, 1996, the Big Thunder Barbecue was renamed Festival of Foods, renamed and rethemed to promote the animated feature film The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It reverted back to the Big Thunder Barbecue on May 30, 1997.

Advertisements

June 19

June 19, 1985 – The Fast-Food Facility Yumz Opens in Disneyland

On June 19, 1985, the fast-food facility Yumz opened in Disneyland’s Videopolis area. It served as Videopolis’ snack bar, serving pizza bread, nachos, and soft drinks. When the area started showing “The Spirit of Pocahontas,” the name of the snack bar became Meeko’s.

June 14

June 14, 1985 – Card Corner Opens in Disneyland

On June 14, 1985, the greeting card shop Card Corner opened on Disneyland’s Main Street. The shop sold cards from Gibson Greetings, the nation’s third largest greeting card company; it also served as the official Disneyland information and registration center. Gibson had a long relationship with Disney, owning a greeting card shop from July 17, 1955 to 1959. Card Corner closed in October, 1988.

June 13

June 13, 1996 – The Specialty Shop The Sanctuary of Quasimodo Opens in Disneyland

On June 13, 1996, the specialty merchandise shop The Sanctuary of Quasimodo opened in Disneyland’s Fantasyland area. The shop replaced the Disney Villains shop (which itself replaced Briar Rose Cottage, Mickey’s Christmas Chalet, and Merlin’s Magic Shop). The Sanctuary of Quasimodo was created to promote the animated feature film The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and featured a vignette in the window of Quasimodo ringing the bells of Notre Dame. The shop closed on February 9, 1997, and was replaced by the Knights Shop.

June 12

June 12, 1975 – The Walt Disney Story Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Opens in Disneyland

“Encounter the Great Emancipator as he returns to tell the tale of generations past and share his stirring vision of the future.”

On June 12, 1975, the popular Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln attraction returned to Disneyland and reopened as The Walt Disney Story Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The attraction originally closed on January 1, 1973, to be replaced by The Walt Disney Story. However, the attraction was brought back due to the demand from guests. The original attraction was created for the New York World’s Fair, presented at the State of Illinois pavilion, and opened in Disneyland on July 18, 1965. Since its combination with The Walt Disney Story, the attraction remains open and remains one of the most popular attractions within the park.

June 1

Posted on

June 1, 1997 – The Disneyland Parade The Lion King Celebration Ends

“Oh, I just can’t wait to be king!”

On June 1, 1997, the Lion King Celebration parade ended its run in Disneyland. The parade, starting on July 1, 1994, was notable for being the first parade to feature Audio-Animatronic figures outside of stationary attractions. It was also a combination parade and stage show, as the parade would stop at various intervals on the route and perform songs from the film, ending each performance with a version of “Circle of Life” while an Audio-Animatronic Simba let out a roar from the Pride Rock float. The parade also featured actors dressed as birds performing acrobatic stunts and remote-controlled animals.

May 25

Posted on

May 25, 1983 – The Specialty Store Mickey’s Christmas Chalet Opens in Disneyland

On May 25, 1983, the specialty Christmas store Mickey’s Christmas Chalet opened in Disneyland’s Fantasyland area. The shop sold Disney-themed Christmas ornaments and décor year round until it closed on May 17, 1987. The store could be seen as a promotional shop for the featurette Mickey’s Christmas Carol, which was released in December of 1983.