RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Closed

June 26

June 26, 1956 – The Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules Attraction Opens in Disneyland

On June 26, 1956, the Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules attraction opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland. It was the second incarnation of a mule pack ride through Frontierland, with the Mule Pack attraction open before it from 1955 to 1956. Guests rode through Frontierland’s landscape on a ten-minute ride with a team of sometimes rather temperamental mules. The attraction ended on October 2, 1959, but reopened as Pack Mules Through Nature’s Wonderland in 1960.

June 23

June 23, 1995 – The Quick Service Stand Meeko’s Opens in Disneyland

On June 23, 1995, the quick service stand Meeko’s opened in Disneyland. Originally called Yumz, the stand changed its name after The Spirit of Pocahontas live stage show premiered at Videopolis; the stand was named after the racoon character from the animated feature film Pocahontas. It served quick, basic food, such as nachos and pizza. It closed on September 5, 1997.

June 21

June 21, 1996 – The Hunchback of Notre Dame – A Musical Adventure Stage Show Opens in Disney-MGM Studios

“A cast of medieval puppets and 21 live performers tell the story of the bell ringer Quasimodo in Disney’s The Hunchback of Notre Dame: A Musical Adventure at Disney-MGM Studios.”

On June 21, 1996, the stage show Hunchback of Notre Dame – A Musical Adventure opened at the Backstage Theater in Disney-MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios) at Walt Disney World. Based on the animated feature film The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the show promoted the film and was part of Walt Disney World’s 25th anniversary celebrations. The show closed its run on September 28, 2002.

June 20

June 20, 1995 – The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter Attraction Opens in Walt Disney World

“If something can’t be done with X-S, then it shouldn’t be done at all.”

On June 20, 1995, the Tomorrowland attraction The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park. A joint production between Disney and George Lucas, it was a dark sci-fi themed interactive sensory adventure, using binaural sound and other effects to enhance the experience. The attraction’s story takes place in the laboratory for X-S Tech, which is giving guests a demonstration of their new interplanetary teleportation device; this goes awry when an alien is accidentally transported into the lab and terrorizes the guests. The attraction was officially closed on October 11, 2003. On November 16, 2004, Stitch’s Great Escape! opened in its place, using most of the technology from the previous attraction.

June 19

June 19, 1992 – The World According to Goofy Parade Kicks Off in Disneyland

“From the pyramids to politics, Goofy brought the hyucks to history.”

On June 19, 1992, the celebration parade The World According to Goofy kicked off in Disneyland. Celebrating the character’s 60th birthday, the parade takes important events in history and gives them a “Goofy” twist, including Cleopatra’s Egypt and the 4th of July. The parade ended its run on November 15, 1992.

June 18

June 18, 1988 – The Meet-and-Greet Area Mickey’s Hollywood Theater Opens in Walt Disney World

On June 18, 1988, the special meet-and-greet area Mickey’s Hollywood Theater opened in the Mickey’s Birthdayland area of Magic Kingdom Park. It was designed to look like Mickey’s dressing room, so as to give guests the impression that they are meeting Mickey after his live show. Mickey’s Hollywood Theater remained after the area became Mickey’s Starland, but closed on March 11, 1996, when the area was remodeled to become Mickey’s Toontown Fair.

June 10

June 10, 1960 – The Pack Mules Through Nature’s Wonderland Attraction Opens

On June 10, 1960, the Pack Mules Through Nature’s Wonderland attraction opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland. This was the third incarnation of this type of attraction, as it was previously Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules (open from 1956 through 1959) and Mule Pack (open from 1955 through 1956). Guests rode on mules through Frontierland past several Disneyland landmarks to the town of Rainbow Ridge, which can still be found in the shadow of Big Thunder Mountain. The attraction was closed in 1973.