RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Disney Park

December 9

December 9, 2002 – Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular Opens in the Hyperion Theater

“Ah, the Cave of Wonders. The setting of one of our most famous legends. The tale of the magic lamp.”

On December 9, 2002, the live-action musical show Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular opened in the Hyperion Theater in Disney California Adventure. Following the popular performance piece The Power of BLAST!, the show was a Broadway-style production of the popular animated feature film Aladdin. While the show opened in December, it had its official debut on January 17, 2003. The story follows the animated film fairly closely, with a new song written for the show by composer Alan Menken: “To Be Free.” The show closed on January 10, 2016.

Advertisements

December 8

December 8, 2011 – Disney Vacation Club Announces Disney’s Grand Floridan Villas

“We continually look for ways to expand Disney Vacation Club by creating resort experiences that our members will love.” – Senior Vice President and General Manager of Disney Vacation Club, Claire Bilby

On December 8, 2011, the Walt Disney Company released an official press release confirming the rumor of the addition to Walt Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. The addition of around 147 villas to Walt Disney World’s flagship hotel was part of the Disney Vacation Club’s continued growth, and was estimated to open in late 2013. This was the 12th addition to the lineup of Disney Vacation Club properties.

December 6

December 6, 2012 – The After Market Shop Opens in Epcot

“After your wild ride, slow down and rubberneck tons of Test Track merchandise: toy cars, pit crew caps, pins and more.”

On December 6, 2012, the After Market Shop opened in Epcot, in the exit area of the Test Track attraction. The new name for the gift shop in the Inside Track exhibit area, the area sells Chevrolet-themed items, such as attire and model cars. The store was part of the refurbishment that was done on the Test Track attraction, and has since been renamed the Test Track SIMporium.

December 5

December 5, 1990 – Espace Euro Disney Opens

“When the dream becomes reality.”

On December 5, 1990, the preview center for Euro Disney, known as Espace Euro Disney, opened. At the time, the concept of Euro Disney was under intense pressure and scrutiny by the French, and this preview center was opened to introduce the French to the park. It was built to drum up interest and act as a marketing center, showing off concept art and small models of coming attractions. by the time the park opened in 1992, the space was no longer needed, and the main Disney elements of the building were taken down. The center officially closed on March 22, 1992.

December 4

December 4, 2001 – The First Wave of Walt Disney Treasures is Released

“I came up with this idea originally six years ago and pitched it to (Chairman of the Walt Disney Studios) Dick Cook and he was very amenable to having a meeting.” – Leonard Maltin (as told to UltimateDisney.com)

On December 4, 2001, the first wave of a new series of DVD releases entitled Walt Disney Treasures was released. These limited-edition two-disc sets included short films, Walt Disney anthology segments, and never before seen material across four different sets: Mickey Mouse in Living Color; Silly Symphonies; Disneyland, USA; and Davy Crockett. Only 150,000 copies of each DVD set were released. The idea for the sets came from film critic and historian Leonard Maltin, who also introduces each set, explaining a bit about the content and providing historical context for the pieces that may be controversial. Since its release, there have been nine waves of releases, the last one released in 2009.

December 2

December 2, 1988 – The First Company D Store Opens in Disneyland

On December 2, 1988, the first cast member store, known as Company D, opened in Disneyland. The store offers deals on Disney merchandise to those with a Disney company badge; they also provide special merchandise created just for cast members, including pins, t-shirts, and watches. Two other Company D stores were opened in Walt Disney World: in the Team Disney Building on June 4, 1991; and in Epcot on April 1, 1992.

December 1

December 1, 1955 – The Maxwell House Coffee House Opens in Disneyland

“Famous Disneyland serves Maxwell House coffee exclusively”

On December 1, 1955, the Maxwell House Coffee House opened in Disneyland’s Town Square. Sponsored by Maxwell House coffee, the restaurant served a variety of beverages and pastries, and was in a prime location where guests could drink coffee and watch other guests meander through Main Street. Maxwell House ended their sponsorship on October 8, 1957. Once the sponsorship ended, however, the coffee house stayed open and was given new sponsorship from the Hills Brothers coffee company.