RSS Feed

Monthly Archives: May 2015

May 31

Posted on

May 31, 1998 – The Wildhorse Saloon Opens in Downtown Disney’s Pleasure Island

Wildhorse Saloon

“Pleasure Island Saloon a Horse of a Different Color” – The Orlando Sentinel

On May 31, 1998, the Wildhorse Saloon opened in Walt Disney World’s Pleasure Island area of Downtown Disney. It was very similar to the original Wildhorse Saloon that opened in Nashville, Tennessee in 1994; the Disney club was a 27,000-square-foot club that featured live entertainment by rising country stars, as well as dancers teaching guests how to line dance. It closed in the summer of 2001, and was replaced with a nightclub called Motion.

May 30

Posted on

May 30, 1947 – The Figaro Short Film Figaro and Frankie is Released to Theaters


“Figaro, you fiend! You’re terrible! Of all the unspeakable, inhuman, barbaric, dreadful things!”

On May 30, 1947, the Figaro short film Figaro and Frankie was released to theaters. It was the last of the short series of Figaro cartoons, with the first being 1943’s Figaro and Cleo and 1946’s Bath Day. It was directed by Charles Nichols, with story by Eric Gurney and Bill de la Torre.

Frankie the canary is singing in his cage, waking poor Figaro, who is desperately trying to nap. He attacks Frankie’s cage and stops him for a brief moment, but he fights back with birdseed. When Figaro tries to get back at him, Minnie finds the kitten climbing up to the cage and rebukes him. Figaro walks away, but then decides to go after Frankie again and manages to knock over the cage. When Minnie runs in again, she thinks that Figaro has eaten Frankie, and chases him with the broom out of the house. After Minnie rushes Figaro out, it’s revealed that Frankie is indeed alive, and stares out the window, wishing he could fly now that he is free. Unfortunately, Frankie is unable to fly, and nearly falls into Figaro’s mouth, until Figaro is chased away by Butch the bulldog. Butch nearly eats Frankie, and is stuck between being eaten by Figaro and by Butch. Figaro’s conscience tries to convince Figaro to save Frankie, but to not avail, until he hits the cat with his halo. Figaro pushes a potted plant onto Butch’s head, driving the bulldog away. The two manage to make up, and Frankie goes back to annoying Figaro with his singing.

May 29

Posted on

May 29, 1987 – The Fantasyland Store Briar Rose Cottage Opens in Disneyland

On May 29, 1987, the shop Briar Rose Cottage opened in Disneyland’s Fantasyland. The store replaced Mickey’s Christmas Chalet, and specialized in Disney figures and specialty merchandise. It closed on July 15, 1991, and was replaced by the Disney Villains store.

May 28

Posted on

May 28, 1960 – The Frontierland Attraction Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland Opens in Disneyland


“You know, Nature’s Wonderland is awful pretty, but sometimes she can be a mighty rugged place to live.”

On May 28, 1960, the Frontierland attraction Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland opened; it was formerly the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, which closed in 1959. The attraction took guests through the unexplored wilderness of the West, incorporating the Painted Desert and the Rainbow Caverns of the previous attraction. Over 200 audio-animatronic animals were used in the attraction, as well as tumbling rocks and various plant formations. Walt designed the attraction himself, as he was not pleased with what his designers came up with. The attraction was closed on January 2, 1977, to make room for the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad; the latter has many pieces within the attraction that pay homage to its predecessor.

May 27

Posted on

May 27, 1992 – The Sequoia Lodge Hotel Opens in Disneyland Paris

Sequoia Lodge

“Relax in this cosy mountain retreat that has the authentic feel of peaceful nights spent around a flickering fireplace.”

On May 27, 1992, the Sequoia Lodge opened in Disneyland Paris. Designed by Antoine Grumbach, it was designed to capture the feel of a rustic wilderness retreat while surrounding Lake Disney. The lodge has several types of rooms, including a standard room, a Montana room, and a Golden Forest Club room. The hotel also includes two places for guests to dine: the Hunter’s Grill and Beaver Creek Tavern, which serves an all-you-can-eat buffet of hearty American fare; and the Redwood Bar and Lounge, where guests can grab a cocktail in front of a roaring fire. The lodge also features a sauna and fitness center, as well as in-hotel shopping at the Boutique: Northwest Passage.

May 26

Posted on

May 26, 1983 – The Epcot Outreach Opens in Epcot’s CommuniCore West


“Opening on May 26, in CommuniCore West, Epcot OutReach will be another innovation in computerized guest service.”

On May 26, 1983, the Epcot Outreach information area opened in the CommuniCore West area of Walt Disney World’s Epcot park. This, along with the Teacher’s Center, gave guests information about all the subjects already presented in Future World and the World Showcase, with information about Epcot itself being the most popular topic queried. The area closed down on July 1, 1994, when Innoventions opened; it then moved to the new Epcot Discovery Center.

May 25

Posted on

May 25, 1983 – The Fantasyland Attraction Snow White’s Scary Adventures Reopens in Disneyland


“Follow the path of Snow White as she flees into the dark and sinister forest to avoid the wrath of the evil Queen.”

On May 25, 1983, the Fantasyland attraction Snow White’s Scary Adventures reopened in Disneyland. The attraction was a remodeled version of the original 1955 attraction Snow White’s Adventures, and was part of the new Fantasyland expansion and remodeling project in the 1980s. Based on the hit animated feature film, the dark-ride attraction takes guests on Snow White’s journey, with a focus on the perils she faced, including the depths of the forest and the Queen’s chambers. With the original attraction, guests played the part of Snow White on the journey; this remodel now featured Snow White in the attraction herself.