RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Disney Park

April 6

April 6, 2007 – The Attraction Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros Opens in Epcot

“Take in the sights of Mexico and the antics of the 3 feathered amigos on this gentle boat ride through the Mexico Pavilion.”

On April 6, 2007, the dark ride attraction Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros opened in the Mexico Pavilion of Walt Disney World’s Epcot park. This attraction replaced the El Río del Tiempo attraction. Featuring Donald Duck, José Carioca, and Panchito from the feature films Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, this ride takes guests through the sights of Mexico as Panchito and José search for their missing friend, Donald.

April 5

April 5, 1998 – The Revamped Enchanted Tiki Room Attraction Opens in Walt Disney World

“Be forewarned, Iago: you cannot toy with the Enchanted Tiki Room.”

On April 5, 1998, the revamped version of the popular Enchanted Tiki Room Attraction, retitled The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management), opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park. The attraction adds characters from Aladdin and The Lion King, with Iago and Zazu acting as the new owners of the Enchanted TIki Room. This “new ownership” was part of an extensive renovation of the attraction; this new version lasted until 2011, after a small fire broke out in the attraction. On August 15, 2011, the attraction returned to its original format, with an edited version of the show.

April 4

April 4, 2011 – The House of Good Fortune Opens in Epcot

“The shop contains an incredible assortment of goods including house wares, lamps, vases, tea sets, accessories, and decorative figurines.”

On April 4, 2011, the House of Good Fortune opened in the China Pavilion of Walt Disney World’s Epcot Park. Replacing Yong Feng Shangdian, the store sells authentic Chinese merchandise ranging from traditional Chinese clothing, housewares, and panda-related knick-knacks.

April 1

April 1, 2011 – Box Office Gifts Opens in Magic Kingdom Park

On April 1, 2011, the camera supply shop Box Office Gifts opened in Town Square Theater, located in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park. The area sells gifts that help capture the memories of meeting Mickey Mouse, including MagicBands that keep track of guests’ photos. Guests can also use the kiosks to view their photos and ask for a special print out of their favorites.

March 31

March 31, 1958 – Grand Canyon Diorama is Added in Disneyland

On March 31, 1958, the grand opening ceremony of the Grand Canyon Diorama, the “largest diorama in the world,” was held in Disneyland Park. The diorama was placed along the route of the Disneyland Railroad, and Walt Disney himself was the conductor of the train that passed by the scenes of the Grand Canyon. The soundtrack for the scenery is Ferde Grofé’s “Grand Canyon Suite,” which accompanies lush scenes of the landscape by scenic artist Delmer Yoakum. The diorama is 306 feet in length, and was restored in 2017 to how it would have appeared in 1958, with some subtle updates to add some “magic.”

March 30

March 30, 2011 – Town Square Theater Opens in Magic Kingdom Park

“Go backstage as a special guest of your pal, Mickey.”

On March 30, 2011, the Town Square Theater opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park. Located within the Town Square, guests can enter and meet Mickey Mouse as he acts as the Master Magician, performing magic tricks. The Town Square Theater replaced the Town Square Exposition Hall, and features references to several characters and films from the classic days. After guests meet Mickey Mouse, they can enter Box Office Gifts, where they can buy specialty park merchandise.

March 28

March 28, 1987 – The Merchandise Stop Port of Entry Opens in Epcot

“Before or after your trip around World Showcase, stop by for Disney-themed apparel, jewelry and other souvenirs.”

On March 28, 1987, the merchandise store Port of Entry opened in Walt Disney World’s Epcot park. Located at the opening of the World Showcase, the shop provides merchandise from all the countries represented in the area, along with specialty merchandise from other countries, and limited edition items from Epcot’s special events, such as the Food and Wine Festival.

March 26

March 26, 2009 – The Friar’s Nook Opens in Walt Disney World

The old English exterior of The Friar's Nook restaurant is reminiscent of Robin Hood's Sherwood Forest

“Tuck into tasty fare like loaded buffalo chicken tots, hot dogs and fried Twinkies…”

On March 26, 2009, the quick-service restaurant The Friar’s Nook opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom park. Replacing the Village Fry Shoppe, the restaurant featured several kinds of loaded tator tots, along with assorted iced drinks. The name of the restaurant is derived from Friar Tuck, from the animated feature film Robin Hood.

March 25

March 25, 2017 – The Restaurant Plazma Ray’s Diner Opens in Tokyo Disneyland

プラズマ・レイズ・ダイナーのイメージ1

On March 25, 2017, the quick service restaurant Plazma Ray’s Diner opened in Tokyo Disneyland’s Tomorrowland area. The backstory for the restaurant is that it is part of an intergalactic diner chain named after its founder and owner. The restaurant features dishes such as glove shaped chicken bao, vegetable curry rice bowl, and a yogurt mousse cake. The restaurant also currently features several Star Wars themed desserts.

March 23

March 23, 1992 – Harrington Bay Clothiers Opens in Downtown Disney

“…keeping you in style with perfect resortware.”

On March 23, 1992, the store Harrington Bay Clothiers opened in Walt Disney World’s Downtown Disney area. The store specialized in men’s fashions, featuring popular brands Polo, Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger. The store was designed in the style of Bermuda, with the fashions featuring a beach theme. The store was eventually closed on July 15, 2001.