RSS Feed

Tag Archives: restaurant

December 1

December 1, 1955 – The Maxwell House Coffee House Opens in Disneyland

“Famous Disneyland serves Maxwell House coffee exclusively”

On December 1, 1955, the Maxwell House Coffee House opened in Disneyland’s Town Square. Sponsored by Maxwell House coffee, the restaurant served a variety of beverages and pastries, and was in a prime location where guests could drink coffee and watch other guests meander through Main Street. Maxwell House ended their sponsorship on October 8, 1957. Once the sponsorship ended, however, the coffee house stayed open and was given new sponsorship from the Hills Brothers coffee company.

Advertisements

November 27

November 27, 2006 – The Restaurant Steakhouse 55 Opens in the Disneyland Hotel

“For classic steakhouse fare or a delicious breakfast in an upscale setting, visit this Disneyland Hotel restaurant.”

On November 27, 2006, the fine dining restaurant Steakhouse 55 opened in Disneyland Hotel. Taking its name from the year Disneyland opened, the restaurant replaced the Granville’s Steak House that had been open since 1983. The restaurant’s décor takes its cue from Old Hollywood, including black-and-white photos of the stars of the Golden Age and dark-wood furniture. Its food and wine offerings have won numerous distinctions, including a Golden Bacchus award by the Southern California Restaurant Writers Association. Offerings include a tiger prawn cocktail, Mishima Ranch wagyu flat iron steak frites, and a fried New York-style cheesecake.

November 21

November 21, 2007 – The What’s Next? Café Opened in Disney’s Wide World of Sports

On November 21, 2007, the casual dining restaurant What’s Next? Café opened in Disney’s Wide World of Sports, located in Walt Disney World. It replaced the All Star Café, which had closed on September 30, 2007. The café closed in 2010, only to reopen as ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Grille the same year.

November 19

November 19, 1990 – The Restaurant Ariel’s Opens in Walt Disney World’s Beach Club Resort

“From the moment you step through the fish-adorned ironwork gate, you’ll be immersed in a delightful deep-sea setting made for mermaids.”

On November 19, 1990, the themed restaurant Ariel’s opened in the Beach Club Resort in Walt Disney World. The seafood restaurant was designed to keep the resort’s nautical theme; it was eventually closed on May 3, 1997. The restaurant has since been reserved as a reception venue for those holding their weddings in Walt Disney World, and was briefly reopened as a full-service restaurant when the Captain’s Grille was being refurbished.

November 14

November 14, 2007 – The Yak & Yeti Restaurant Opens in Disney’s Animal Kingdom

“Travelers can relax and replenish with a pan-Asian feast in this beautiful Nepalese-style restaurant.”

On November 14, 2007, the Yak & Yeti Restaurant opened in the Asia section of Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park. Styled like a village home turned restaurant, this table service restaurant features a variety of dishes from several Asian regions. The menu includes delicacies such as dim sum baskets, chicken tikka masala, and fried wontons for dessert. The restaurant location also features the Yak & Yeti Bhaktapur Market, where guests can buy regional items ranging from incense to saris.

November 9

November 9, 1993 – The Sunshine Season Food Fair Food Court Opens in Epcot

“Harvest the goodness of the greenhouses of The Land Pavilion!”

On November 9, 1993, the fast-food court Sunshine Season Food Fair opened in Epcot’s The Land Pavilion. The area, formerly known as Farmers Market, features a variety of cuisines, including sandwiches, grilled fish, and vegan options; the area also serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner for Walt Disney World guests. The area is now known as simply Sunshine Season.

October 26

October 26, 1986 – The Quick Service Restaurant Gurgi’s Munchies and Crunchies Opens

On October 26, 1986, the quick service restaurant Gurgi’s Munchies and Crunchies opened in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park. Located in Fantasyland, the restaurant was named after the character Gurgi from the animated feature film The Black Cauldron. It replaced the Lancer’s Inn, and when it closed on February 13, 1993, it itself was replaced by Lumiere’s Kitchen.