RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Closed

June 3

Posted on

June 3, 1984 – The Restaurant Bistro de Paris Opens in Epcot’s France Pavilion

BDP

“Gourmet restaurant located at the 2nd floor”

On June 3, 1984, the restaurant Bistro de Paris opened in Epcot’s World Showcase, in the France Pavilion. The restaurant was created due to the success and demand for reservations for Les Chefs de France, and was located in the upstairs area of the restaurant. Like Les Chefs, Bistro de Paris specialized in gourmet French cuisine, featuring favorites such as filet mignon, duck breast, and crème brulee. The restaurant was closed on July 31, 2012; it was renovated and reopened in December, now named Monsieur Paul after famous French chef Paul Bocuse.

May 31

Posted on

May 31, 1998 – The Wildhorse Saloon Opens in Downtown Disney’s Pleasure Island

Wildhorse Saloon

“Pleasure Island Saloon a Horse of a Different Color” – The Orlando Sentinel

On May 31, 1998, the Wildhorse Saloon opened in Walt Disney World’s Pleasure Island area of Downtown Disney. It was very similar to the original Wildhorse Saloon that opened in Nashville, Tennessee in 1994; the Disney club was a 27,000-square-foot club that featured live entertainment by rising country stars, as well as dancers teaching guests how to line dance. It closed in the summer of 2001, and was replaced with a nightclub called Motion.

May 29

Posted on

May 29, 1987 – The Fantasyland Store Briar Rose Cottage Opens in Disneyland

On May 29, 1987, the shop Briar Rose Cottage opened in Disneyland’s Fantasyland. The store replaced Mickey’s Christmas Chalet, and specialized in Disney figures and specialty merchandise. It closed on July 15, 1991, and was replaced by the Disney Villains store.

May 28

Posted on

May 28, 1960 – The Frontierland Attraction Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland Opens in Disneyland

NaturesWonderland

“You know, Nature’s Wonderland is awful pretty, but sometimes she can be a mighty rugged place to live.”

On May 28, 1960, the Frontierland attraction Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland opened; it was formerly the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, which closed in 1959. The attraction took guests through the unexplored wilderness of the West, incorporating the Painted Desert and the Rainbow Caverns of the previous attraction. Over 200 audio-animatronic animals were used in the attraction, as well as tumbling rocks and various plant formations. Walt designed the attraction himself, as he was not pleased with what his designers came up with. The attraction was closed on January 2, 1977, to make room for the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad; the latter has many pieces within the attraction that pay homage to its predecessor.

May 22

Posted on

May 22, 1998 – The Tomorrowland Attraction Rocket Rods Opens in Disneyland

Rocket Rods

“We had a beautiful show designed for [Rocket Rods], but we weren’t able to do it. It just became a fast ride around the park. If it had the show, it would have been great.” – Imagineer and Disney Legend Tony Baxter

On May 22, 1998, the Tomorrowland attraction Rocket Rods opened in Disneyland, replacing the PeopleMover attraction that closed in 1995. The attraction, designed as a high-speed transit system, had guests travel around in a five-passenger vehicle for a track a mile long, which provided a view of all the attractions of Tomorrowland. Unfortunately, the attraction had many technical challenges, closing several times for mechanical problems and refurbishments. It was officially closed on September 5, 2000.

May 1

Posted on

May 1, 1989 – The Adventures Club Opens in Walt Disney World’s Pleasure Island Area

Adventurers Club

“Marching along, we’re adventures, singing the song of adventurers, up or down, north, south, east or west, an adventurer’s life is best!”

On May 1, 1989, the Adventurers Club nightclub opened in Walt Disney World’s Pleasure Island area. It was one of eight clubs that existed in the area. The story of the club’s theme includes a 1937 New Years Eve party that doubles as an open house, looking for new membership. Guests are invited to be initiated as members, becoming members of the play within the club. The club overall was similar to being part of an interactive theater experience, with several actors playing parts of Adventurers Club members that interact with guests. The club closed on September 27, 2008.

April 6

April 6, 1990 – The Blue Ribbon Bakery Opens

BlueRibbonBakery

“If you need an afternoon pick-me-up, head to Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street, U.S.A., for an iced coffee or mocha (you can add a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, that’s up to you).”

On April 6, 1990, the Blue Ribbon Bakery opened on Disneyland’s Main Street. The quick service bakery replaced the Sunkist Citrus House, which closed in early 1989 after opening in 1960. The bakery specialized in specialty pastries and coffee, including the Matterhorn Macaroon and the Soundsational Cupcake. In 1997, the bakery was moved to the location of the former Carnation Ice Cream Parlor; on January 5, 2012, the Blue Ribbon Bakery was officially closed, with its space being used as an expansion for the Carnation Café. Pastry lovers are now able to go to Jolly Holiday Bakery on Main Street.

March 24

March 24, 1956 – The Tomorrowland Attraction Astro-Jets Opens in Disneyland

Rocket Jets

“Pilot your very own rocket ship high in the sky above Tomorrowland…”

On March 24, 1956, the Tomorrowland attraction Astro-Jets opened in Disneyland. The attraction has gone through several renamings and redesigns. In 1964, the attraction was known as the Tomorrowland Jets, until 1966, when it was closed to make way for a refurbishment of Tomorrowland. The new incarnation of the attraction returned in 1967, and was renamed the Rocket Jets. In 1997, the attraction was closed again when Tomorrowland needed renovations. The newest version of the attraction, the Astro Orbiter, opened in 1998. The attraction itself is similar to Dumbo the Flying Elephant, where guests board their vessel and, while spinning around a central column, use a lever to drive the vessel up and down, giving guests a birds-eye view of the park.

February 26

February 26, 1998 – The All Star Café Opens at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex

All Star Cafe

On February 26, 1998, the All Star Café opened at Walt Disney World’s Wide World of Sports Complex, almost a year after the complex opened. It was part of a chain of restaurants developed by Planet Hollywood International and invested in by sports legends, including Andre Agassi, Monica Seles, and Wayne Gretzky. Disney acquired the lease to the Wide World of Sports Complex restaurant in 2000. The franchise itself was not successful, and Disney closed the café in September, 2007. In November of that year, it opened again as the What’s Next Café, before becoming the ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill in 2010.

February 20

February 20, 2000 – Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant Opens in Walt Disney World’s Downtown Disney

CapnJackLogo

On February 20, 2000, the Downtown Disney restaurant Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant opened in Walt Disney World. Originally Captain Jack’s Oyster Bar, which served drinks and seafood appetizers since the marketplace’s opening in 1975, the restaurant expanded on the seafood theme, with tables facing the waterfront of the Downtown Disney area. The restaurant closed in August, 2013, due to the expansion of the Disney Springs project.