RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Closed

August 29

August 29, 1955 – The Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant Opens in Disneyland

CotSPP

“Part of the elaborately themed restaurant location included Skull Rock Cove where you could sit and enjoy your meal.”

On August 29, 1955, the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship and Restaurant opened in Disneyland’s Fantasyland. The restaurant was Peter Pan-themed, once standing where the Dumbo the Flying Elephant attraction resides today. The restaurant was a quick-service spot serving several tuna dishes, including a tuna burger; it also featured an area of seating designed like Skull Rock from the animated feature. The restaurant remained under the Chicken of the Sea sponsorship until 1969, when it was renamed Captain Hook’s Galley, where it stood until 1982.The ship was originally made entirely of wood, but quickly started to rot from sitting in the water, and work was done over several years to replace the wood with concrete. During the redesign of Fantasyland, Imagineers tried to save the ship, but the ship had to be moved, and was eventually destroyed when parts were moved away and involved in an accident. The ship has since been recreated in Disneyland Paris, while parts of Skull Rock were reused for the Storybook Land Canal Boats.

August 19

August 19, 2001 – The Timekeeper Attraction Reopens Seasonally

The Timekeeper

“For your safety, I’ve invented rails for you to lean on. I call them, ‘lean rails.’ Please do not sit on the lean rails because…they’re there to lean on.”

On August 19, 2001, the Tomorrowland attraction The Timekeeper was reopened, this time on a seasonal basis. The attraction, originally closed on April 29, 2001, was reopened while many other Tomorrowland attractions were undergoing refurbishments. The attraction opened during the late summer and stayed open through most of September, operating on this seasonal basis before it closed for good on February 26, 2006, after its final show on December 31, 2005.

August 9

August 9, 1955 – The Aunt Jemima Pancake House Opens in Disneyland’s Frontierland

AJK

On August 9, 1955, the Aunt Jemima Pancake House restaurant opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland area. This restaurant could be considered one of Disney’s first forays into character dining, as Aunt Jemima would appear to greet guests in the early days of the park. The restaurant closed in early 1962, and has changed many times since then, becoming Aunt Jemima’s Kitchen (operating from July 17 1962 to 1970), Magnolia Tree Terrace (operating from 1970 to 1971), and finally, the River Belle Terrace; however, throughout all these incarnations, pancakes have always remained the staple at this restaurant.

July 14

July 14, 2006 – The Legend of Mythica Show Begins in Tokyo DisneySea

Legend of Mythica

“Sea of dreams, sea of wonder, sea of dreams 夢は素直に笑う時に分かるもの.”

On July 14, 2006, in conjunction with the 5th anniversary of the park, the harbor show The Legend of Mythica began its run in Tokyo DisneySea. The show, replacing the Porto Paradiso Water Carnival, featured an original mythology-inspired story, with Disney characters acting as spirit companions to mythological creatures. The show also featured a score by Alan Silvestri, and an original song for the anniversary celebrations entitled “Sea of Dreams” by Japanese recording artist Misia. The show ended its run on September 7, 2014.

July 11

July 11, 1986 – The Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour Attraction Opens in Tokyo Disneyland

CCMT

あなたはディズニーの悪役たちに勝てるかな?”

On July 11, 1986, the walkthrough attraction Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour opened in Tokyo Disneyland. The walkthrough featured several classic villains, ranging from Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty, the Evil Queen from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Stromboli from Pinocchio, and, unusually, The Horned King from The Black Cauldron; the latter has not been used in any other attraction. The attraction was closed on April 5, 2006.

July 2

Posted on

July 2, 1956 – The Rainbow Caverns Mine Train Attraction Opens in Disneyland

RCMT

“Just climb aboard our little mine train for a trip you’ll never forget, through the wild and wooly Rainbow Desert.”

On July 2, 1956, the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train attraction opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland area. The attraction, originally a C Ticket ride, took guests on a train ride through a painted desert, complete with colored cavern pools and small waterfalls. It eventually closed on October 11, 1959, with the Mine Train Through nature’s Wonderland opening in its location on May 28, 1960; that attraction itself would close and eventually become part of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

June 26

June 26, 1957 – The Viewliner Opens in Disneyland

vlcsnap-2016-06-26-18h09m14s388

“The Viewliner: The Train of Tomorrow.”

On June 26, 1957, the Viewliner train attraction opened in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. Based on Walt’s love of model trains, the Viewliner was a modernistic mini-monorail that ran alongside the Disneyland Railroad. This was Walt’s first attempt at a mass –transit system within the park, but was overtaken a little over a year later by the Monorail, which was inspired by the transit systems found in Germany. The Viewliner was closed on September 15, 1958; the Monorail opened the following year.

June 25

June 25, 1967 – The Circle-Vision 360 Film America the Beautiful Opens in Disneyland

AtB

“She is a rich land, and a rare land. A fresh, and fair, land.”

On June 25, 1967, the Circle-Vision 360 film America the Beautiful opened in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. The film, originally known as a Circarama film, opened at the Brussels World’s Fair in 1958 before being brought to Disneyland in 1960. This 1967 version is a reshot version of the original film, and was revised again in 1975 for the American Bicentennial celebrations. Shot with nine cameras on a circular stand, the film gives guests a 360 experience of important American landscapes and American ways of life. It was closed on January 3, 1984, and was replaced by American Journeys. A 16mm version of the film was created for educational purposes in 1980.

June 23

June 23, 1956 – The Skyway to Fantasyland and the Skyway to Tomorrowland Open in Disneyland

Skyway

“See Disneyland from the air!”

On June 23, 1956, the Skyway to Fantasyland and the Skyway to Tomorrowland transportation attraction opened in Disneyland. The system of four-person gondolas gave guests an overhead view of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, with guests able to purchase either a one-way or round-trip ticket. Eventually, the system was relegated to a one-way trip only. The design of the system was different in Tomorrowland versus Fantasyland, with Fantasyland looking more like a ski chalet, and Tomorrowland keeping with its futuristic theme. The attraction ended its run on November 10, 1994. Similar versions have also been installed in Walt Disney World (from 1971 to 1999) and in Tokyo Disneyland (from 1983 to 1998).

June 21

June 21, 1991 – The Celebration U.S.A. Parade Begins in Disneyland

Disneyland 1991

On June 21, 1999, the Celebration U.S.A. Parade began its run in Disneyland. It replaced the Disney’s Party Gras Parade, and took a rather humorous look at American life while celebrating the diversity that makes up the country and honoring the pride of Americans. The parade lasted only until November 24, and was replaced by The World According to Goofy Parade, celebrating the character’s 60th birthday.