August 11, 1955 – Casa de Fritos Opens in Disneyland
“Enjoy delicious Mexican foods at Casa de Fritos”
On August 11, 1955, the restaurant Casa de Fritos opened in Disneyland’s Frontierland. Serving Mexican food, the restaurant was famed for its specialty vending machine where kids could get a bag of Fritos chips by the Frito Kid. Guests could order dishes such as Frito Chili Pie for 55 cents, three tamales for 35 cents, and a Mexican combination plate for only $1.00; Fritos were provided for free with every dish. The restaurant was given an upgrade and a new name – Casa Mexicana – on October 1, 1982, and would go on to become Rancho del Zocalo on February 6, 2001.