RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Hotel

October 5

October 5, 1955 – The Disneyland Hotel Opens

Disneyland Hotel

“Be surrounded in the spirit and wonder of Disneyland past and present.”

On October 5, 1955, the Disneyland Hotel opened across the street from the Disneyland Park. When the park was in development, Walt Disney wanted to build a hotel nearby, but didn’t have the funds to do so. Entrepreneur Jack Wrather, a friend of Walt’s, was convinced to build the first Disneyland Hotel, a simple motor inn with only 100 rooms. The hotel, owned under the Wrather Corporation, grew over the years, and after Walt’s death, the Disney Company decided that it was time that it owned the hotel. In 1988, after acquiring the Wrather Corporation, they not only gained complete control of the hotel, but the Queen Mary in Long Beach as well. The Disneyland Hotel is notable for its connection to the park by monorail, making it one of the most popular hotels on the Disneyland property. The hotel is also known for its selection of restaurants, the monorail-themed pool, and its three towers: Adventure, Fantasy, and Frontier.

Advertisements

June 1

Posted on

June 1, 2009 – The Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

TreehouseVilla

“Surrounded by the lush forest along the Saddagoula River, the Treehouse Villas are an enchanting hideaway just a walk or boat ride away from the heart of Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa.”

On June 1, 2009, the Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa open at Walt Disney World. These villas used to be accommodations at Lake Buena Vista, opening in 1975, but were closed in 2002. The villas were given a major remodel and made part of the Saratoga Springs Resort, a Disney Vacation Club resort. Located a boat ride away from Downtown Disney, the villas are elevated at least ten feet from the ground, and are exquisite rooms complete with kitchens, spacious living area, and private decks.

May 27

Posted on

May 27, 1992 – The Sequoia Lodge Hotel Opens in Disneyland Paris

Sequoia Lodge

“Relax in this cosy mountain retreat that has the authentic feel of peaceful nights spent around a flickering fireplace.”

On May 27, 1992, the Sequoia Lodge opened in Disneyland Paris. Designed by Antoine Grumbach, it was designed to capture the feel of a rustic wilderness retreat while surrounding Lake Disney. The lodge has several types of rooms, including a standard room, a Montana room, and a Golden Forest Club room. The hotel also includes two places for guests to dine: the Hunter’s Grill and Beaver Creek Tavern, which serves an all-you-can-eat buffet of hearty American fare; and the Redwood Bar and Lounge, where guests can grab a cocktail in front of a roaring fire. The lodge also features a sauna and fitness center, as well as in-hotel shopping at the Boutique: Northwest Passage.

May 24

Posted on

May 24, 1918 – Investor, Producer, and Disney Legend Jack Wrather is Born

wratherjack

“My father had the notion that business should be fun. He had more fun with the Disneyland Hotel than with any other investment.” – Chris Wrather

On May 24, 1918, John Devereaux Wrather was born in Amarillo, Texas. A millionaire through his work in the oil industry, as well as through the expansion of his father’s company Wrather Petroleum Company, he headed to Hollywood after serving as a Marine during World War II. Wrather became a successful producer for several studios, diversifying his company into other entertainment mediums, including music and television. In 1954, Wrather reached a deal with Walt Disney to build a hotel near the Disneyland Park, which would become the Disneyland Hotel. The hotel broke ground mid-March of 1955, and was completed six-and-a-half months later. The hotel was groundbreaking as a new mix of entertainment and lodging, and continued to grow with the changing landscape of Orange County. Wrather’s contribution to the Disney Park set the standard for other Disney hotels. Wrather passed away in 1984 at the age of 66. He was honored as a Disney Legend in 2011.

July 7

Posted on

July 7, 2000 – The Disney Ambassador Hotel Opens in Tokyo Disneyland

Disney Ambassador Hotel

“Amid the art deco styling are touches of magic that only a Disney Hotel can provide.”

On July 7, 2000, the Disney Ambassador Hotel opened its doors in Tokyo Disneyland. The hotel has an art deco motif, with the main lobby featuring a statue of Mickey as a 1930s movie director. There are several different themes to pick from in choosing a room, from a Donald Duck room to family room, along with the option of a suite. The hotel is also home to several restaurants, including Chef Mickey (casual dining in buffet style), the Empire Grill (California-style food), Hana (Japanese style food), Tick Tock Diner (reminiscent of a 50s diner), and the Hyperion Lounge. Weddings can also be held at the hotel, with guests able to take their vows in the Rose Chapel.

 

April 29

April 29, 1994 – The First All-Star Resort Hotel Unit Opens in Walt Disney World

all-star-sports-resort-gallery01

“Go the distance and don’t be afraid to celebrate your inner fan amid sporty décor starring some of your favorite Disney characters.”

On April 29, 1994, the first unit of the All-Star Resort hotels opened in Walt Disney World. The first unit belonged to the All-Star Sports Resort; it was named Surf’s Up, and had a theme of surfing. This was soon followed by the Hoops Hotel, Touchdown, Home Run Hotel, and Center Court. The hotels themselves are moderately priced, and features two restaurants: End Zone Food Court, and Grandstand Spirits Pool Bar. All-Star Sports is the first in the series of hotels, and was followed by All-Star Music in November 1994, and All-Star Movies in 1999.

February 2

February 2, 1992 – The Dixie Landings Resort Hotel Opens in Walt Disney World

DixieLandingsLogo

“Discover a place where simple pleasures flourish and Southern hospitality abounds.”

On February 2, 1992, the Dixie Landings Resort Hotel opened in Walt Disney World. Using the theme of the Old South, the resort was a moderately-priced hotel, featuring 2,048 rooms. It contained a souvenir shop and restaurants, located in Colonel’s Cotton Mill, which was built to resemble a steamship. The souvenir shop was called Fulton’s General Store, and the restaurant contained at the resort was Boatwright’s Dining Hall. On April 1, 2001, the resort was combined with the Port Orleans Resort, and was renamed the Port Orleans: Riverside; the restaurant and souvenir shop kept their names and were not changed.