January 18, 1958 – The Pet Boarding Facility Ken-L-Land Opens
“‘Man’s best friend’ has not been forgotten when the family visits Disneyland, thanks to Ken-L-Ration’s deluxe Pet Motel, Ken-L-Land.”
On January 18, 1958, the pet boarding facility Ken-L-Land opened just outside the Disneyland main gate. It was a place where families, who had traveled miles to get to Disneyland, could leave their pets rather than leave them in the parking lot. Sponsored by Ken-L-Ration dog food from the Quaker Oats Company, pets were fed exclusively from the brand, with a full day’s boarding and a can of food costing 25 cents. Ken-L-Ration’s sponsorship lasted until 1967; the sponsorship and name of the kennel changed over the years, including sponsorship by Kal Kan with the name change to Kennel Club in 1968 to 1977, sponsorship by Gaines with name change to Pet Care Kennel in 1986 to 1991, and sponsorship by Nestle’s Purina in 1993, with the name change to Disneyland Kennel Club.