July 22, 1955 – Disneyland’s Candy Palace Opens on Main Street
“…many of the Disneyland ‘homemade’ candies have their own fanbase.”
On July 22, 1955, the Disneyland candy shop Candy Palace opened on Main Street. The store is home to several exclusive treats, particularly around Christmas, when the candy makers make their own candy canes. The main draw of the shop is the large front window that gives guests a look at the confectioners creating sweet treats the likes of caramel turtles, decorative gourmet caramel apples, and peanut brittle. Overall, about 63 different treats are made year-round in the candy kitchen. Walt Disney World has a similar store called the Main Street Confectionery; Disneyland Paris’ version is known as the Boardwalk Candy Palace.