April 9, 2002 – The El Capitan Entertainment Centre is Declared a Historical Monument
“We are so proud to be a part of Hollywood history and to be playing a continuing role in the revitalization of this historic area of Los Angeles.” – Lylle Breier, Senior VP Worldwide Special Events for Buena Vista Pictures Distribution
On April 9, 2002, the newly resorted El Capitan Entertainment Centre was opened and was named a Historic Hollywood Landmark by the city of Los Angeles. Originally built in 1921 as the Hollywood Masonic Temple, the temple was sold by the Masons in 1982 after years of dwindling membership. In 1998, the Walt Disney Company became the owner of the property, solely for the purposes of Buena Vista Pictures Distribution. Disney gave the building an extensive overhaul, restoring some of the buildings’ original features that had been taken out since the sale of the building in the 1980s. Disney has since used the El Capitan Theater for its studios’ film premieres, particularly for Pixar and Disney Animation releases.